Now that Summer is just around the corner and that the temperature is rising (at least in the Northern Hemisphere), I find myself craving hydration and looking for lighter dishes to prepare. Don’t get me wrong, I am absolutely ecstatic about the prolonged hours of sun and all the happiness that comes along with beautiful warm weather. I just need a lot more freshness than usual and I’m assuming that you might as well. What better occasion to introduce you to one of my favorite Summer Salads?
It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and can be an amazing side dish to pretty much any meal as much as a healthy snack you can turn to at the first sign of cravings or dehydration 🙂
Cucumber & Dill Sour Cream Salad
While I often keep fresh cucumber on the counter, this specific salad tastes even better cold. Therefore, on days I plan to prepare it, I store the cucumbers in the fridge for some extra cooling. The salad features a mere 3 ingredients: fresh cucumbers, fresh dill & sour cream. Along with salt and pepper for seasoning. What varies is the amount of cucumbers used which should be proportional to how many mouths you’d like to feed.
I personally use organic ingredients. I recommend it especially for the sour cream, however conventional will work fine as well. And if you grow your own vegetables and herbs, even better!
How To Prepare It
- Gently peel your fresh cucumbers ( I use 2 average sized for 2 people or 4 if I wanna keep leftovers)
- In the process of peeling, take a second and apply the peels to your face for instant skin refreshment 🙂 Your skin will be grateful!
- Once peeled, proceed to slicing the little fellas on a chopping board. For this salad I love to slice them thin. It mixes better with the sour cream, trust me.
- Next, chop up the fresh dill. I usually use a handful but when it comes to dill, the more the merrier.
- In a decent size bowl, combine the sliced cucumbers and chopped dill and add 3 spoons of sour cream. Mix well.
- Finally add salt and pepper to season until your satisfied with the taste. This part varies for everyone so go with what you prefer. I use Herbamare, aromatic sea salt and herbs in all my salads and it tastes amazing!
- If you’re preparing a longer meal, do put it in the fridge meanwhile to chill.
Voila! You’ve just filled your bowl with joy; all that’s left is to enjoy it!
Side Dish Inspiration
I recently made this salad along with clean organic BBQ hot-dogs and baked cauliflower topped with cheddar. It worked so well as a combo and the whole thing took under 30 minutes to prepare. Many fingers were liked afterwards along with the bowl.
On Its Own
I’m also crazy about this salad as a solo craving buster. So I tend to make more and keep it nice and cool in the fridge so that I can help myself at the first sign of hunger. Cucumbers are so fresh and abundant in Summer and not to mention super healthy while being calorie free. It’s one of those things you really don’t need to hold back on. How about you, what’s your favorite Summer salad?
Hope you enjoy!
❤ ❤ ❤