Who’s in the mood for Healthy Snacking? Humans of all ages love popcorn. It goes well with your favorite movies & TV series but it can also be fun to snack on at any time of the day… given of course that we tweak it a little to remove its shameful “junk food” label.
A Healthy Alternative
Microwavable popcorn would never find its way to my bowl, simply because all food that travels through the microwave comes out nuked and stripped of nutrients. Instead, I prefer to go at it the old fashion way (no I don’t own a vintage popcorn machine). I simply take 5 minutes to pop it in a saucepan. I’m also aware that Corn is at the top of Genetically Modified food, so of course I buy organic grains. At my favorite healthy supermarket it goes for 50 cents per 100 grams. A great deal by all accounts.
What you’ll need
- 100 grams or more of corn kernels (seeds)
- 2 spoons of raw organic coconut oil
- 2 spoons of fine herbs/sea salt blend like Herbamare – for seasoning
- 1 medium saucepan
The amounts can vary based on how much you want to make… double everything (including the size of the saucepan) for bigger quantity.
How it’s done
- Place the saucepan on the stove top burner and add 2 tablespoons of Organic Coconut Oil
- Heat on high till the oil starts to jiggle – 2 min tops
- Add the corn kernels to cover the entire bottom (not too thick) and cover immediately with lid
- Watch them jiggle 🙂
- As soon as they start popping lower to medium high
- Watch the magic unfold, occasionally shaking the whole saucepan to make room for unpopped kernels to drop back to the bottom
- The popcorn will rise quickly
- Once you no longer hear popping, turn off and put aside to cool
- Transfer into a bowl and add the salt blend to season
- Voila! It’s ready to serve
Coconut oil adds a delicious buttery taste. If you like it extra buttery, by all means add more!
A Sweet Variation
In case you prefer sweet popcorn over salty or just want a bit of both, you can always skip the salt seasoning step and add raw honey or maple syrup instead.
And there you have it. All the goodness of popcorn without harmful ingredients. Everyone in my household is crazy about this snack. Even my cat Leo who gets a single popcorn each time I make it because he’s otherwise on a grain free diet :p